Old October 9th 07, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jim Hawkins Jim Hawkins is offline

Default Cannon Street / Moorgate tunnel?

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Paul Scott wrote:
"Abigail Brady" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was pondering a map the other day, and I noted quite how close
Moorgate and Cannon Street are. I guess the city widened lines to
Moorgate are a lost cause due to the planned work at Farringdon, but
I wondered whether it has ever been suggested to extend the Northern
City Line south of Moorgate and link up with the line at Cannon
Street, making Cannon Street into a through station. This would
allow, say, the extension of Northern City Line services to London
Bridge and points onward (possibly as part of the Thameslink
network?) Has this ever been suggested? Are they any especial
difficulties
apart from the sheer cost of tunnelling in EC2. (Bank of England
vaults?, I can also imagine the gradient being a problem)?

Gradient would definitely be an issue, but isn't the Bank/Monument
station complex in the way of the direct route as well?

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...069/ltmonu.jpg

It might be able to run through next to the Northern Line.

When DLR extensions
have been suggested in the past it is usually mentioned that the Bank
of England vaults are in the way too!

No, the Waterloo & City is the one which can't be extended without hitting
the bank vaults.

The gradient problems can't be got around (or got under). Extending the
Northern City to a deep terminus the length of Walbrook would give nearly
all of the benefits quite cheaply.

These sorts of questions would be much easier to answer if there were a
3D 'walk-through' computer model of sub-surface London, with its tunnels,
vaults and other services.
It's commonly done for new buildings, so why couldn't it be done for
existing underground structures ?
I suppose it's too much much to expect there already is one ?

Jim Hawkins