Old October 10th 07, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Cannon Street / Moorgate tunnel?

On 10 Oct, 14:28, wrote:
Speaking of Cannon Street, does anyone know exactly what the point of
the current refurbishment is? The ticket office area was refurbished
only a few years ago, and it seems pretty stupid to have shut down the
M&S and all the other retail units when the station was working
perfectly well as it was (nowhere near as crowded or cramped as London
Bridge and Charing Cross).

I think (as I've said on this group before) that it would be good if
they could somehow integrate Cannon Street better into the Bank/
Monument complex. You could have only one District Line station
(saving on staff costs), get better interchange with the Northern &
Central lines from Cannon Street main line, and call the whole thing
"City of London".

It is bizarre the way that the interchange opportunities are currently
discouraged. If I was going from the southeast to, say, Oxford
Street, I'd always go Cannon Street and Central Line, but people are
encouraged to take a dog's leg, which involves a walk from Charing
Cross to Trafalgar Sqare (a similar distance to Cannon Street to Bank)
just because the stations now have the same name.