Old October 10th 07, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Cannon Street / Moorgate tunnel?

On 10 Oct, 14:58, MIG wrote:
I think (as I've said on this group before) that it would be good if
they could somehow integrate Cannon Street better into the Bank/
Monument complex. You could have only one District Line station
(saving on staff costs), get better interchange with the Northern &
Central lines from Cannon Street main line, and call the whole thing
"City of London".

It is bizarre the way that the interchange opportunities are currently
discouraged. If I was going from the southeast to, say, Oxford
Street, I'd always go Cannon Street and Central Line, but people are
encouraged to take a dog's leg, which involves a walk from Charing
Cross to Trafalgar Sqare (a similar distance to Cannon Street to Bank)
just because the stations now have the same name.

I've always assumed this was because Cannon Street is overwhelmed in
the peak and frequently shut off-peak, whereas Charing Cross is busy
most of the time (reflecting their City vs West End status) - it makes
more sense to direct interchange passengers to somewhere which can
cope with them and where they can go whenever trains are running.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org