Old October 10th 07, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Electronic ads on the tube - good idea enviromentally?

On Oct 10, 5:12 pm, MIG wrote:
I doubt it though. The cardboard has to be moved around in trucks,
and then again when it's disposed of. The printing machinery must use
a lot of electricity. The card, ink etc all has to be manufactured.
As long as the screens don't have to be replaced very often, I would
have guessed that there was a saving.

True , but you'd probably only have one van delivering to quite a few
stations (I'm guessing , I have no idea, but based on what other
businesses do...) . Whether that and the manufacturing would
ultimately use more energy than having say 50 monitors on in each
station 12 hours a day I guess could be debated endlessly especially
when you take into account manufacture of them monitors and all the
computer equipment too which I'd guess will have a life of 5 years
before it gets replaced.

Incidentaly , does LU get much revenue from ads? I've noticed most of
the TOCs don't seem to bother much these days , certainly not inside
their trains anyway. Even ads on stations seem to be fairly few and
far between once your away from the main termini.

B2003