Old October 13th 07, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Yipee! increased TFL staff pass validity.

Mr Thant wrote:

On 13 Oct, 11:58, Mizter T wrote:
Dare I suggest that as nothing has been heard on this front perhaps
Oyster PAYG might not be immediately extended beyond Harrow and
Wealdstone (H&W) - or if it is it won't be extended beyond Hatch End
(the last station in zone 6) - at least not yet.

The sample Overground tube map shows Carpender's Park to Watford
Junction as Zone A, and Oyster will definitely be accepted on
Overground services out there.

That was really just a promotional map, so I wouldn't take anything
shown on it as gospel.

Certainly, incorporating WJ (at least with regards to the London
Overground services) in zone A would make sense.

but I can see that London Midland* might not
be too happy at this loss of control and possibly revenue that might
entail from accepting Oyster PAYG on their WJ to Euston fasts.

The franchise spec requires them to be accepted within Zones 1-6. It
appears to up to London Midland whether to accept them out to Watford
Junction, and there hasn't been any word from them.

In that case the franchise specification for London Midland merely
appears to set in stone the existing situation - that Oyster PAYG is
accepted on fast trains between H&W and Euston (and has been since, I
think, Oyster PAYG was first introduced on LU).

I guess it does also cover the situation that should London Midland
wish to stop their trains at Queen's Park as well, then they'd also
have to accept Oyster PAYG for journeys to/from there to/from Euston
or H&W. But I don't think they'd have any desire to stop at Queen's
Park though.

I can now increasingly foresee a situation where Oyster PAYG will only
available on the London Overground stoppers from Watford Junction, and
not the London Midland fasts. We shall see what transpires.