Old October 13th 07, 12:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Yipee! increased TFL staff pass validity.

On 13 Oct, 13:20, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 13 Oct, 12:51, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

(snip)

Oyster PAYG will be extended to Watford Junction but there will be no
change to the zonal validity of Travelcards nor of Freedom Passes. I
know no more than this (via another group) so it is a case of wait and
see.

You would imagine the ticketing system precedent for West Midlands
purposes
is whatever method of farebox split is used to Amersham with Chiltern, so
there shouldn't need to be any need to reinvent the wheel in this case?
Obviously VWC won't take part due to their pick up & set down
restrictions...

Paul

Dunno about that Paul. AIUI the traditional arrangement between
Chiltern Railways and LU was that whoever sold the ticket kept the
cash - and as part of this deal LU provided 'free' access to their
metals. Maybe I'm very wrong on that though.

I don't know if this situation has been modified, but whatever the
idea that whoever sells the ticket keeps the cash doesn't translate at
all well to Oyster PAYG.

But isn't PAYG already available on Chiltern or LU from Amersham - maybe the
cash is divvied up at the southern end of the journey, depending on where
you enter or leave the system? Paul C has previously mentioned that there is
a different default deduction on the joint LU/NR routes - perhaps this is
part of the system?

Paul S

Yes - Oyster PAYG is indeed already available on Chiltern from
Amersham, which mirrors the situation with paper tickets where LU & NR
tickets are interavailable on this route. However Chiltern's
Marylebone ticket office is the only place where Chiltern might take
money off a passenger to add to an Oyster card for PAYG use (and I'm
not 100% certain that the Marylebone ticket office deals in Oyster
either - they could just send you across the concourse to the LU
ticket office).

To be honest I've no idea how the Oyster PAYG monies gets divided up
when it comes to Chiltern and LU. If one bears in mind that Oyster
PAYG is also valid from West/South Ruislip to Marylebone, wheras paper
tickets are not (i.e. there is no conventional interavailability of
ticketing on this route), this would suggest that Chiltern and LU have
a more complicated arrangement in place - though whether it deals with
ticketing as a whole, or just Oyster PAYG, I have no idea.