Old October 15th 07, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Liney[_2_] Dave Liney[_2_] is offline

Default Yipee! increased TFL staff pass validity.

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...
Dave Liney wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...

As one of "the rest of the pax" I'll just say that it doesn't sound
like gloating to me. I think it's fair enough that those who work
for a transport organisation to get free travel on that
organisation's services as a perk of the job, just as I'd expect
someone who works for a telecoms company to get a reduced rate
subscription or someone who works for a retailer to get discounts
etc.

Free ... discount ... discount

Doesn't seem to be the same to me.

Not that I mind TfL staff travelling free; compared to the cost of
the Oyster bribery fares it's a raindrop in the ocean of subsidy of
London's public transport.

What are you talking about? London has probably the least subsidised
public transport of any comparable capital city.

Sorry. I thought it was obvious that I was talking about the Oyster fares
being so much lower than non-Oyster fares for the same journey. Regardless
of the relative level of subsidy it will have an impact on the actual
amount. If the Oyster discount were tens of pence it could be seen as a
discount for a less staff-intensive and reusable ticket but, with it being
60% for Z1 tickets and children's prices set where the Oyster daily cap is
actually less than a single cash journey, it looks like a tax on the
ignorant. Not allowing one day travelcards to be loaded on Oyster also
knocks out the argument that it helps reduce the number of paper tickets.

Now it could be that Ken wanted to make TfL fares that much cheaper and
Oyster gave him a vehicle to do it and still maintain that he hasn't for
political reasons. However with Oyster obviously being successful (it could
hardly be otherwise with the pricing differential) I think it is time for
cash fares to start heading down towards, though not reaching, Oyster fares.

And to return to the original thread subject is free travel for railway
employees treated as a benefit in kind by the Inland Revenue?

Dave.