Old October 18th 07, 12:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Diversion of the South London Line from London Bridge

"MIG" wrote in message
s.com...

Presume its just that the pax who currently use the service use it to get
directly to London Bridge or Victoria. Everyone is happy with
improvements
for the greater good, except when directly affected themselves.

I'm sure very similar objections will be raised when the DC lines are
diverted away from Euston, or the Greenford shuttle stops going to
Paddington...

People decide where to live, what jobs to apply for etc based on
existing facilities, including transport links.

Of course objections will be raised, and quite rightly.

I really can't see what "improvements for the greater good" are going
to be achieved by diverting trains from already overcrowded routes
into central London into a stopping service to Hackney.

The dream of an orbital railway is being pursued in a very blinkered
way. There may be a need for one, but when people agree to the need
for a new service, it's wrong to infer that they mean "and existing
services should be taken away".

You've hit the nail on the head there. I'm not trying to justify it, just
distil bits of the RUS into a single sentence. However, as I posted earlier
the RUS does suggest the requirement is to provide space in London Bridge
and Victoria for increased longer distance services, even without the future
Thameslink or Orbirail changes.

Paul S