Old October 21st 07, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Strange little cameras on gantries above the roads.

Boltar (Boltar ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

I've noticed recently that some odd looking cameras have started popping
up on gantries around london. I've seen them on the A406, A12 and A13 so
far. They/re quite small, round and theres usually 4 or 5 of them
mounted horizontally on a bar across the carraigeway. Are these some
sort of number plate recognition system?

Yeh, I've been wondering that, too. There's also some around the services
on the M4 (can't remember the name of the svcs - the ones between
Heathrow and London) and on the A40 between the Hoover building and
Hangar Lane.