Old October 23rd 07, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default The Northern Line that never was

"Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote in message

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...

I'm surprised to hear that. Never thought of it as much of a place. Here
are today's numbers (total annual entry + exit, in millions, from TfL
[1], with rank in this list):

Tooting Broadwy 10.567 1

Interesting. Why is Tooting Broadway so busy? Bus feeders, or just a
really densely populated area? St George's hospital and Wimbledon dog
track?

Tooting Broadway picks up most of the London-bound bus traffic from
Mitcham, which is very poorly served by public transport.

We used to catch the bus to Morden to avoid getting stuck
in the traffic. This must have been before the bus lane was
made.

Strangley, we never ever walked to Mitcham station to change
at Wimbledon (which would have been easiest). We always
went to Croydon on the "little" train, but I must have been about
17 before I discovered that the 'other way' was a sensible route
to London.

tim