Old October 23rd 07, 11:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kieran Turner Kieran Turner is offline

Default Strange little cameras on gantries above the roads.

wrote:
Boltar wrote:
I've noticed recently that some odd looking cameras have started
popping up on gantries around london. I've seen them on the A406, A12
and A13 so far. They/re quite small, round and theres usually 4 or 5
of them mounted horizontally on a bar across the carraigeway. Are
these some sort of number plate recognition system?

Number plate and face recognition according to the press. A more
permanent version of the slew of unmarked white vans with things on
tripods on over bridges during the party conference season I guess.

There are a set on the M20 which appear to coincide with a set of painted
speed camera markings on the road surface - although I don't know the road
well, so it's entirely possible those relate to an older camera. But
presumably, the new cameras could double up as speed detectors?