Old October 24th 07, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default What is the point of Cannon Street (National Rail) Station?

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Londoncityslicker wrote:

There doesn't seem to be much fuss over Smithfield Market being
knocked down.
First i've heard of it. What exactly is planned to be done to
Smithfield?

There is a proposal to demolish the so-called "General Market" at
Smithfield (ie the buildings which face on to Farringdon Street).
This proposal doesn't affect the much better known East and West
Markets, which are what most people picture when they think of Smithfield.

Okay. Still, i wouldn't say the General Market is without historical
and aesthetic value:

No, nor would I.

Snip

Is the demolition of the General Market necessary for something
(Crossrail or Thameslink), or is it just so someone can build an office
block? I get the impression from my brief reading that it's the latter.

My understanding is that it's for apartments (that's "flats" to you and
me) but I could be wrong.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK