Old October 25th 07, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Euston Station Underground upgrade a joke.

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:26:57 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

I don't quite see the connection between the stock you are alighting
from and the look of the station.

Because the stock gives the station a classic look. It might be '90s
inside, but it looks '60s from the outside. Totally unconnected to
this thread, I did alight from and look down a train of A-stock
earlier this week at Euston Square, and it occurred to me that the
scene was really no different from what it would have been 40 years
ago, bar the lack of bowler hats!

Will St Pancras be any less impressive
because you're alighting from a modern Eurostar train?

Compared to an HST? No, but compared to steam-hauled compartment
stock, yes, without a doubt.

In any case the current A-stock ambience is that of the 1990s
refurbishment. At least the S-stock won't have those noisy compressors
clattering away, and hopefully will have given you a more comfortable
ride.

But won't, I'm told, have as many seats. The Met is a nice way to
travel on LUL, because you have a very good chance of a seat, and when
you do get one people aren't pushing past you.

The standard stock will be a waste of the extra-wide loading gauge,
too. The A-stock is just about the only UK stock I've seen that's
actually wide enough for 2+3 with all seats occupied.

Neil

--
Neil Williams