Old October 26th 07, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Euston Station Underground upgrade a joke.

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:59:51 -0700, wrote:

I dont think it's clear at this stage what will happen, but the plans
go way beyond a simple refurbishment. I have mixed feelings, I've
traveled through the station 600+ times per year since April 1994 as I
live in Tring and work in camden. I don't think it's as bad as people
make out, and I know every square inch of the structure including the
disused areas. I will miss it is turned into a shopping centre/
station.

If it was turned into a Manc Picc-a-like I wouldn't mind too much, but
it is a prime example of how Birmingham New St needn't have been crap
while still having a shopping centre over the platforms. That said, I
don't think it would have been as good for a predominantly diesel
operation.

What disused areas are there, OOI?

As built there was a huge area (5 acres) above the platforms which was
designed for night use by parcels traffic, needless to say when built it
coincided with the decline of this sort of business. One of the rail mags
raised the possibilty of its use for night goods deliveries for London
shops, didn't seem to likely to me though. I wonder if there is any scope
for letting more light through?

Railways archive has a brochure from the opening:

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/doc...Euston1968.pdf

Paul