Old October 31st 07, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default South London Paying for Thameslink?

MIG wrote:
On Oct 31, 12:53 pm, Paul Terry wrote:
In message
.com, MIG
writes

Is this a case of the article mistakenly referring to Crossrail
when they meant Thameslink,

It is about "a £16bn project to build a new rail link through
central London, connecting Maidenhead and Heathrow in the west to
Essex and Kent in the east". So I don't think its simply a case of
saying Crossrail when they meant Thameslink.

Well, it's just possible that having picked the wrong project they
then Googled the name they had picked on.

or is it a misunderstanding about funds being
diverted rather than routes encroaching?

I suspect the latter. But its sloppy journalism.

It is more plausible indeed, because I can't work out how any
project involves new railway builds that would encroach on tram
routes in Crystal Palace.

I suspect that the story they are trying to run is that Crossrail may
suck up any funds that might have been spent on other projects like the
tram extensions, but as with most local newspapers, the standard of
journalism is abysmal.
--
Richard J.