Old November 4th 07, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london,alt.boomerang
Offramp Offramp is offline

Default Steel coppers

On Nov 4, 9:52 am, "David Biddulph" groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
"Offramp" wrote in message

ps.com...

I carry a magnet with me. I noticed yesterday that new 1p and 2p
pieces stuck to the magnet like poo-poo to a blanket. A friend of mine
whose name is Mr Wonderful told me that coppers have been made of
steel since 1986!
I told him that he was full of the stuff that sticks to blankets the
same way that pennies stick to magnets. Who is right?

1p and 2p have been copper-plated steel since September 1992 (except for
1998 when some 2p coins were made of bronze and some of copper-plated

Once again, Mr Wonderful has been proved right!