Old November 4th 03, 10:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default Public transport in London in 1829

In message , Anoracart
writes

If someone were to produce a historical London bus map in the style of Mike
Harris' excellent series of maps (www.busmap.co.uk) for 1829 when George
Shillibeer's first omnibus route started, what other public transport would
need to appear on the map?

Just about none if the term "public transport" is taken literally. Even
Shillibeer's enterprise was too costly for most people at the time - one
shilling a ride, which was most of a complete day's pay for an
agricultural labourer in 1829.

And how complete could that information ever hope to be?

Because public transport in the modern sense was almost unknown at the
time, the question is rather moot. Everyone except the wealthy lived
within walking distance of their work at this date.

I was thinking there'd be a couple of railways, but it seems probably not.

Not before 1836.

I presume there would have been some ferries across or along the
Thames, and stagecoach routes.

Thames boatmen provided river transport, but these would have been hire
services, more like taxis than public transport. There were numerous
short- and long-stagecoach services (about 600 operating out of London I
seem to remember). These are reasonably well documented but again fares
were prohibitively high for most people - not surprising given the slow
speed, limited capacity and need to stable and change horses at frequent
intervals. All of these reasons contributed to the rapid success of the
railways in creating true public transport only a decade a later.

Were there ever any passenger services along the canals?

Not as far as I know. Canals were designed for shipping heavy good and
were (and are) incredibly slow. It would probably have been quicker for
a passenger to walk!

Or any local road transport of any kind?

Short stage-coach routes ran from the centre of London to places like
Enfield and Edmonton. The fares were almost three times the rate of Mr
Shillibeer's omnibus, so again this can't really be described as public
transport. The bottom line is that most people walked.

--
Paul Terry