Old November 7th 07, 12:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] j.p.harris@talk21.com is offline

Default London Overground from 11 Nov 2007

On 6 Nov, 23:43, Tim Woodall wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 22:50:21 +0000,
Charles Ellson wrote:

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 14:16:48 -0000, "Peter Masson"
wrote:

"Ken" wrote

But Oyster PAYG will be accepted from Day One, throughout the
"Overground" network, even to Watford Jct., which is a big change.

Presumably Oyster PAYG will also be accepted on Southern between Watford
Junction and Clapham Junction, and on West Midlands (ex-Silverlink County)
between Watford Junction and Euston. But is this spelt out anywhere?
Presumably, though, not on VWC between Watford Junction and Euston, in view
of the take up/set down status of stops at Watford Junction.

The specific references to "North London Railway" and the map on:-
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ground-map.pdf
would seem to exclude Southern and the non-DC route from Euston to
Watford.

It's going to be a nightmare and people are going to get very confused
if that is the case. :-(

There are validators in the subway at the entrances to platforms 7 and 9
so it certainly seems that the long term intention is to enable oyster
to be used on the mainline trains from WJ. The only use for these
validators I can think of is for people coming from platform 11. I've
not noticed if there's a validator near the carpark entrance on platform
9. I'm assuming there will be validators near platforms 1-4 (if I
remember tomorrow I'll take a look) otherwise the ones in the subway
could also be for people changing from mainline to DC line at WJ - but
that seems crazy - people running for a train are bound to forget to
validate in the subway.

My current WJ-Euston season ticket was 2064GBP.

On a quick look at the current timetables the "best" PAYG route would
be:

07:40 depart WJ
07:56 arrive H&W
07:58 depart H&W on the train that departed WJ at 07:52 (so adding 12
minutes to the journey time)

This would cost 4:50 PAYG assuming WJ is in zone A like Watford (Met).

Assume return before 7pm and the daily return fare is 9GBP.

Assume 220 days and thats 1980GBP so very little in it.

I very rarely return before 7pm (and often depart before 7am) which
would reduce the fare to 6GBP/day or 1320GBP

(In this case the best route I can see would depart WJ at 06:20 joining
with the 06:38 WJ departure rather than the (non-stop) 06:42 departure
so 26 minutes longer - the 06:25 gets in at 06:46 so anyone doing this
is going to see two trains go past that they could have been on and
either have had more time in bed or more time in London)

It's going to become a game for people to either be close to the guard
when a train departs Euston (so they get their PAYG checked before H&W)
or far away from the guard when the train departs WJ so the guard
doesn't see them until after H&W. (and of course anybody who wants to do
this should make sure they get on a H&W stopping train and probably know
the arrival time of the DC line so they can claim they were in the
toilet to account for the timings ;-)

Tim.

and there was light.

http://tjw.hn.org/ http://www.locofungus.btinternet.co.uk/- Hide quoted text -

There is plenty of talk about Oyster PAYG being available on London
Overground but very little in writing about the actual fares to be
charged for PAYG. The assumption seems to be that the fares will be
the same as those on the underground under PAYG. Is this actually the
case?

Looking at the single fare finder on the TfL website - some fares
appear to be set with connections via London Overground in mind, a
single from Richmond to Harrow & Wealdstone is £1.80 peak, £1.00 off-
peak. From Gunnersbury to Stonebridge Park, the fare is £1.00 at all
times. Given that these journeys aren't possible other than via Zone
1 on PAYG at the moment, I guess that underground level Oyster fares
will apply more generally. Interestingly, journeys to Highbury &
Islington, Blackhorse Road, Stratford etc are still at the "via Zone
1" level.

Can anyone explain which route justifies Harrow and Wealdstone to
Harrow-on-the-Hill being £1.00 at all times according to the fare
finder? Even if you go via Brondesbury post 11 November, it can't be
done without going from Zone 5 to Zone 5 via Zone 2.

Does the single fare finder work by matching up pairs of stations and
selecting a fare or by looking simply at the zones of the two
stations?

Jonathan