Old November 7th 07, 07:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default London day trip - which travel card?

On Nov 7, 8:41 am, Keith Raeburn wrote:
On 7 Nov, 07:55, (A.Lee) wrote:

Myself and a friend will be in London for a day in a few weeks time, and
would like some advice on if, and which, travelcard we should buy.

We expect to make 3 or 4 Tube journeys in the central area.
Is it worthwhile getting a one day card, or just pay for individual
journeys?
Also, can they be bought in advance for a particular day?
Thanks
Alan.

Get a pre-pay Oyster card from the first Tube ticket office (not
machine) you arrive at, and load that with pre-pay credit for single
journeys. A £3 returnable deposit is payable. As you use this credit,
the card keeps track of the journeys you make over a single day and
will "cap" the cash deducted at a set rate, currently 50p less than
the price of the equivalent One day Travelcard (which Travelcard is
equivalent, and the fare paid, will depend on which zones you travel
through). Fares and capping rates atwww.tfl.gov.uk. The "cap" will be
higher if you start your journeys before 0930.

But if you plan to make any journeys on National Rail, it may not be
valid and you'll need a one day travelcard.

(I think that it really is outrageous that anyone has to do this
amount of research to avoid being ripped off.)