Old November 8th 07, 10:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default "Queen to open St Pancras station" today

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, John Rowland wrote:

Pyromancer wrote:
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as John
Rowland gently breathed:

That is a terrible reason to make a road one-way. Suppose that you
lived at the north end of Judd Street and visited your girlfriend in
Chalton Street regularly - would you still think that the above
constituted a good reason to make Judd Street s/b only?

I was more asking if it would be a good idea, rather than asserting it.
But in this particular case, since i'd be walking, i wouldn't have much of
an opinion.

Bear in mind that there no left turn out of Mabledon Place,

I didn't know that. Any idea what the reason for that is?

and you can't get out Dukes Road either, and I don't think the right
turn from Tavistock Place to Tavistock Sq is allowed,

I know you can't turn right if you're coming the other way, to get to
Woburn Place; i'm not sure about the other way. There have been roadworks
at that junction for as long as i can remember, so it's been a while since
i've seen it in normal operation.

and you can't do a right turn to Euston Road from Upper Woburn Place
or Gordon Street.

But should you be using a motor vehicle for such a short trip anyway?

That depends on the time of day, how much stuff you have to bring,
whether you've got 4000 pounds in your pocket, whether you're a national
hate figure etc. Or maybe you're delivery man who has to make deliveries
at Judd St and Chalton Street.

We should get a count of the number of such people, and of the number of
people coming south out of Midland Road and wanting to turn right, so that
we can do a cost-benefit analysis.

Or you live in Judd Street and car-pool with someone who lives in
Chalton Street.

In which case one of you has a nice brisk walk to start your day.

tom

--
What? Yeah!