Old November 8th 07, 04:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default "Queen to open St Pancras station" today

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, John Rowland wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, John Rowland wrote:

Pyromancer wrote:
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as John
Rowland gently breathed:

That is a terrible reason to make a road one-way. Suppose that you
lived at the north end of Judd Street and visited your girlfriend in
Chalton Street regularly - would you still think that the above
constituted a good reason to make Judd Street s/b only?

But should you be using a motor vehicle for such a short trip anyway?

That depends on the time of day, how much stuff you have to bring,
whether you've got 4000 pounds in your pocket, whether you're a
national hate figure etc. Or maybe you're delivery man who has to make
deliveries at Judd St and Chalton Street.

We should get a count of the number of such people, and of the number
of people coming south out of Midland Road and wanting to turn right,
so that we can do a cost-benefit analysis.

So we should ban every possible human action unless enough voters want to do
it?

What?

What i'm implying is that the number of people inconvenienced by making
Judd St one-way (those burdened with freight, cash, infamy, etc) would be
smaller than the number of people convenienced (those heading east from
Midland Rd). If that's true, or rather if, taking into account the degree
of conveniencing and inconveniencing, the net convenience is positive,
then making Judd St one-way would be a Good Thing. Perhaps it's not, and
it seems likely that it's not a big deal either way, and in either of
those cases, it would be a Bad Thing, or at least a Meh Thing. It all
depends on the actual numbers.

Are you a New Labour cabinet member by any chance?

You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.

tom

--
Everyone in the world is doing something without me.