Old November 11th 07, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default I, for one, welcome our new newt-loving overlord

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 06:07:42 -0800, Mizter T wrote:

[crossposted to uk.transport.london and uk.railway]

Today Mayor Ken takes over the ex-Silverlink Metro routes such as the
North London Line as London Overground (LO). I specifically say Mayor
Ken as I don't think it would have happened without him lobbying the
government for this transfer of responsibilities. The inclusion of the
North London Railway (as the Silverlink Metro routes are now
collectively known) under TfL management was the result of the Mayor
and his team successfully persuading the DfT that this was the way
forward.

One very big early change is that there will be staff at all stations
(except the GOBLIN stations) for all the hours that the trains are
running - this is a big change for the better and will help people
feel more secure and cared for. I understand that station ticket
offices will be open for longer, whilst there will also be station
staff on and around the platforms, and there will also be roving
security staff who travel on the trains too (and these staff will be
monitoring GOBLIN stations). Trains will run later at night.
Passengers might actually have their tickets checked too - this was
previously a very rare event on these lines!

These are my very limited observations from a little walk to Walthamstow
Queens Road earlier today (already posted to a Yahoo group)

New ticket machine from Shere was alive and well and under its new
purpose built canopy. Apparently operated by Silverlink Trains
according to a label on the machine - ahem! Card and coin / note
acceptance was evident and obviously Oyster compatible with reader
and ability to load Oyster seasons or PAYG. The scrolling display
said tickets for today plus after 4pm it can sell you a ticket for
tomorrow which was a nice touch. Oyster readers were activated and
housed in the same units as used on Docklands stations. I don't
recall signs pointing out what they were though.

There was a metal portacabin present with the word "canteen" on it
but no one was inside and no windows uncovered. There was an
Overground employee present and he was on the Barking platform with
the passengers as a train was due. No outward change to the Class
150 when it arrived with a decent number of people on board and
about half a dozen boarded it. When the train left the employee came
over to the Gospel Oak platform.

The main platform indicator on the Gospel Oak platform was showing a
train for 10.23 being delayed until 11.07 but as it was after 11.07
when I got there I think that was defective. There were other
displays in the modular waiting rooms and these seemed to be showing
the correct details.

Platform posters showed the new Tube and Overground map that's valid
from today. In addition there was a "under new management" poster
showing this was now a TfL service and that immediate decorative
improvements would be made shortly. There was a full timetable and
that was more in the LU house style with New Johnston text and
orange line identity.

Not startling changes but clearly there's been an effort to get
things working and in line with the new operating requirements from
TfL.

Welcome, London Overground, and the best of luck to you.

I'll second that.
--
Paul C