Old November 11th 07, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default How to draw a tube map?

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Ernst S Blofeld wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

That's like suggesting a pair of compasses when someone asks how to
draw a straight line. For drawing a Beckish diagram, geographical
software is the last thing you want.

And your suggestion is?

Inkscape, which someone had already suggested. Any other vector graphics
editor would be about as good.

Which is still not ideal - you'd really want something that did some kind
of constraint-based graphics. Like what Powerpoint does with arrows - you
can draw a couple of boxes or something, and draw, say, a right-angle
arrow connecting them, and if you move one of the boxes, the arrow sorts
itself out. It's not quite what you need for this problem, though, and i
don't know anything which does that.

Having thought about it, i'm going to change my suggestion, though - i
think the OP needs Python and the ReportLab PDF library .

That's as helpful a comment as taking as pair of compasses and shoving
one up each nostril. Aren't crass analogies fun!

GIS software is ideally suited to manipulating vector information,
complete with node labels etc. certainly more so than a simple graphics
package.

I am skeptical about this. Are you saying a GIS tool is better for
straightforward drawing than a drawing tool? Is there really not
geographical stuff which is going to get in the way in this case?

As we have no idea where the OP is starting from or what he wants from a
'tube map' (a schematic, geospatial map or otherwise), the given list of
software is comprehensive enough to cater for most mapping needs.

I'm having trouble thinking of anything that the term "the London Tube
Map" could refer to that isn't substantially like this:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

For sake of completion here is another list;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...aphics_editors

That's a good link.

tom

--