Old November 12th 07, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,alt.boomerang
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Why is Wembley Central Such a Dump

On 12 Nov, 01:00, Ian Jelf wrote:
In message . com,
Offramp writes

On Nov 10, 8:05 pm, "Zen83237" wrote:
Due to Friday's now regular ASLEF strike I have been using the Southern
train from Watford to West Brompton but on Friday decided to try Bakerloo to
Wembley then the Southern train. Why is Wembley Central such a **** hole.

The sign at the outskirts says it all:
"Welcome to Wembley Central. Twinned with Port Moresby, the film
Threads and the TV programme The Equalizer, with Edward Woodward. Do
not exceed 99mph. Mayor's office: Hut 8, Zone B, Upper Portakabin. No
riff-raff."

Wembley Central remains without doubt the most depressing hole I've ever
encountered on London's transport network.

It is also one of only two places in London I've ever felt for my own
safety (which given how big London is and how much of it I've been to
through the years actually says a lot in the capital's favour.)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

It's probably going to be a mistake to ask this but I will - what was
the other place?

I agree Wembley Central is a depressing hole. I'm trying to think
where else in London compares. The old Stratford station was pretty
run down, though I don't recall it being threatening as such - perhaps
in part because it was fairly busy (though nothing like as busy as it
is today).

Lots of suburban stations leave something to be desired, though things
have improved in the past few years (or maybe I'm getting less
critical and am just thankful for small improvements?). I haven't been
there but Stoneleigh station, near Epsom in Surrey, has stuck in my
mind as hardly being the nicest place on earth, after I read about it
on Quin Parker's "Guide to Zone 6" website (now out of date as
Stoneleigh's been shuffled into zone 5):
http://www.quinparker.com/zone6/stoneleigh.php

A photo can be seen on the Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoneleigh_railway_station