Old November 12th 07, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected][_2_] google@woodall.me.uk[_2_] is offline

Default Vital clue in the Watford Jn Oyster PAYG fares mystery...

On Nov 12, 10:44 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 11, 5:25 pm, Mizter T wrote:
One big question mark over Oyster PAYG acceptance on London Overground
has been how fares north of Hatch End - i.e. outside the 6 London
zones - will be handled.

One incredibly obvious place to look, which I've only just thought of
(d'oh!), is of course the TfL "Single fare finder" he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/faresandtickets/2007/farefinder/

My playing around suggests that Carpenders Park is in Zone B, Bushey
and Watford High Street are in Zone C and Watford Junction is in Zone
D.

With that zoning I'd expect[1] that the WJ-Euston fast train could be
pulled into the PAYG system without significantly affecting the
revenue generated.

As I reported elsewhe

"I have a hard copy LO timetable booklet here, that says London Midland do
accept PAYG between Euston and Watford Junction, however it also says
Southern accept PAYG between Clapham Junction and _Willesden_ Junction,
which is odd coz their route doesn't go there..."

Unfortunately the web version splits the timetables into 4 files and doesn't
include the cover notes...

The new ATOC/NR Oyster PAYG leaflet (paper version available at LU & Tube
stations) also shows Watford Junction down to Clapham Junction as being
available for PAYG, apparently platform notices confirm this .

I asked at the (silverlink) Euston ticket office on Thursday evening
and I was told that PAYG would not be valid to WJ on the Midland
trains.

Having said that, getting the information from the horses mouth so to
speak isn't reliable.

I wanted to know whether I could use my WJ-London Terminals to
Clapham Junction. The staff at WJ said Yes and No depending on who I
asked. The guard on the train when I said "I've got a ticket here but
could I use this", showing him my gold card said "I don't see why
not". The general concensus here from those in the know was "No I
couldn't use it" (or at least only as far as willesden junction (I
think) and I'd need an extension)

Tim.