Old November 14th 07, 01:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default Eurostar's south London farewell

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 14 Nov, 11:25, MaxB wrote:
On 13 Nov, 21:26, Ar wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:26:59 -0800, sweek scribed:

The original plans were to build a tunnel to Waterloo and keep that

as
the terminal, but I think it was the borough of Lewisham that didn't
want that, which resulted in the current north London route.

If you remember where you got that info from I'd appreciate it. Never
heard of one borough objecting, but then again, it was a Labour
borough at the time.

It was certainly planned to go underground through South London. In
the small park just north of Peckham Rye station a public tennis court
was removed in preparation for the site to be a vent/construction
access point against some local opposition. It has now been grassed
over. That would be in Southwark, not Lewisham, however.

I can't remember which scheme that was, there have been so many!

MaxB

I think there was a whole lot more planned for that site - BTW it's
Warwick Gardens you're talking of (off Lyndhurst Way). AIUI several
adjacent houses (if not the whole row) on Lyndhurst Road were bought
using compulsory purchase powers by BR and were to be demolished to
make way for this shaft site. I don't know what the exact plan was,
but if I was to take a guess I'd suggest the idea was to use the site
for a major working shaft for use in constructing the tunnels, which
would of course have led to a pretty significant disturbance to the
surrounding residential area.

I certainly recall the fuss about it at the time, and the large number
of "Sink the Link" posters (complete with the BR double-arrows symbol
crossed out) that were all around the area. However back then I didn't
follow the various happenings closely, but now, years later, I'm quite
curious about the whole issue of the CTRL under south London that
never was. I feel a delve into the relevant local studies libraries is
on the cards.

The idea was to have a junction in tunnel near there, with a portal in
Warwick Gardens where the Waterloo link would have surfaced and joined the
Chatham lines to access Brixton and Linford Street curve.

The flats opposite, on the site of the original South London Line depot (in
the angle between the Denmark Hill and Tulse Hill lines) were fairly new at
the time, and the owners were up in arms because they had just completed
their purchase when the plans for Warwick Gardens were first announced.

Peter