Old November 14th 07, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default Best tickets for Cambridge-Tolworth via Putney?

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:31 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), Colin Rosenstiel
wrote:

So I can get a single from East Putney to Tolworth for £3.80 or from
Putney to Tolworth (via Clapham Junction) for £2.90. Why such an
enormous (in percentage terms) premium for the shorter route via LU?

No-one? I'm most surprised the fare from East Putney is so high.

It's because there's a change of modes involved. Fares for through
LU-NR (or vice versa) journeys have for a long time been more
expensive than similar journeys that just use LU or NR - it used to be
simply the price of the two separate journey legs added together. The
new zonal Train Tube Fares were introduced a couple of years back, but
these merely continued the trend (they are more expensive than
straight Tube paper tickets, which are themselves priced at 'punitive'
levels).