Old November 5th 03, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Heathrow T4 to close

"Geoff Marshall" wrote in message
Just been sent this:

In answer to your enquiry, Terminal 4 station is expected to be closed

from
January 2005 for around 20 months, to allow construction of a junction in
the area to extend the Piccadilly Line to Terminal 5.

20 months to construct a pair of step-plate junctions? Bloody hell, I don't
remember the Jubilee south of Green Park being shut for that long...

Come to think of it, aren't both step plate junctions to be constructed east
of the point where the loop splits into the two tracks that lead into the
two platforms of T123? Therefore they should be able to close the southern
T123 platform while the facing junction is constructed, and close the
northern T123 platform while the trailing junction is constructed. The only
time the loop would need to be closed would be when when the new westbound
line was tunnelled under the loop... that should be, what, a weekend's
work? Admittedly there would be performance implications from only having
one platform at T123 for some months, but it has to be preferable to closing
T4 station.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped