Old November 14th 07, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.railway
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default London Underground Ventilation Shafts

On Nov 14, 1:09 pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 14 Nov, 19:25, James Farrar wrote:

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:13:02 GMT, wrote:

"contrex" wrote in message
roups.com...
On 14 Nov, 13:42, Rob wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of London
Underground ventilation shafts, used and disused? I went to a lecture
recently and they said there were 190 of them in total.

Thanks in advance

Rob Smith

If I were TFL I'd keep quiet about them. You might be a nutter or
terrorist for all we know.

Have you tried calling 0207 222 1234?

No such number.

Let me be a pedant back at you - there is such a number, the spacing
between the individual digits doesn't change the fact that if one
dialled it it would work - hence it is a valid telephone number.

Yes yes it isn't written in the 'approved' format, but thousands
(millions?) of Londoners do the same and manage just fine.

Yes, I use the 'correct' format, but I don't let the fact that others
don't wind me up! You should get over to uk.telecom - this 'mistake'
regularly has the inhabitants thereof completely frothing at the mouth
and winding each other up into a state of absolute indignation - I kid
you not!

Would that it were that simple. The implication is that one can dial
222 1234 within a notional STD code of "0207" AND expect to be
connected. I have heard that there are a handful of exchanges within
London were that does work. However the standard is now eight digit
local numbers within London. Dialing eight digits within STD code
"020" will always work.

Adrian