Old November 14th 07, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Mark Goodge Mark Goodge is offline

Default Dead end

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:23:55 -0000, John Rowland put finger to
keyboard and typed:

I found a road today (Knapp Road E3) with a standard T-shaped "No Through
Road" sign, and underneath were the words "Except Access". Every time I try
to figure out what that might mean, my head turns into a Moebius strip.

That's not entirely stupid. Assuming you have something like this:

| |
A ------------------B----------------C
| |

where the lines are roads, then if the section B-C is "no vehicles
except for access", then at junction A it would be entirely true to
say that A-B is "no through road except for access", and at junction A
would be the sign you describe.

A typical situation where this might occur is where the section A-B is
a normal-sized road, suitable for all traffic, but between B and C it
becomes extremely narrow and/or twisty. Another situation would be
where B-C runs through a housing estate but A-B serves an industrial
estate just on the A side of B, and the authorities want to exclude
industrial estate traffic from the housing estate - forcing it to use
access A at all times - while still permitting residents of the
housing estate to enter and leave via either A or C.

Mark
--
Blog: http://Mark.Goodge.co.uk Photos: http://www.goodge.co.uk
"Emotions run deep as oceans"