Old November 14th 07, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Walthamstow Central

In message of Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:44:51 in
uk.transport.london, Nicola Redwood
writes

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .
Walthamstow Central tube is closed this Saturday and the Vic line is
closed Sunday. Having pondered the reason why I asked this evening as to
whether the subway link was due to open. The worksite looks perilously
close to "break through" of the final bits of the wall.

I was told the new ticket office will be opening on Monday morning -
this certainly has a number of LU ticket machines in it as these are
visible through a small glass window. It will be interesting to see how
this works as they are part way along the subway itself. I'm also not
sure what's happening to the gateline as the manual gate moved to the
opposite end of the array a few weeks ago. It'll be interesting to see
if we gain any more gate capacity.

Looking from the bus station side the subway itself seems very close to
being finished. A lot of final fittings and permanent lighting are now
in place and operational. I can't really tell what is happening with the
lift at the bus station end as it appeared to be having a wooden hut
constructed around it the other day!

Still after umpteen years and silly delays we seem to be staggering
towards the link being opened. Now all we need is for Network Rail to
come and smash their bit of the station to pieces as part of a rumoured
redevelopment project.
--
Paul C

Ooh! Shall have to go and have a look at some point.

What is planned?
Recently, I found no ticket selling facilities near the gate line weird.
It cries out for a pedestrian tunnel between rail and bus stations.
Liverpool Street and Chingford PAYG connections can be pseudo-validated
as there are Oyster readers on the rail platforms.
--
Walter Briscoe