Old November 14th 07, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Fitzgerald Steve Fitzgerald is offline

Default London Underground Ventilation Shafts

In message om, Mizter
T writes

Have you tried calling 0207 222 1234?

No such number.

Let me be a pedant back at you - there is such a number, the spacing
between the individual digits doesn't change the fact that if one
dialled it it would work - hence it is a valid telephone number.

Yes yes it isn't written in the 'approved' format, but thousands
(millions?) of Londoners do the same and manage just fine.

Yes, I use the 'correct' format, but I don't let the fact that others
don't wind me up! You should get over to uk.telecom - this 'mistake'
regularly has the inhabitants thereof completely frothing at the mouth
and winding each other up into a state of absolute indignation - I kid
you not!

Except that living in London, the implication of that spacing is that I
can dump this non existent 'area code' of 0207 and just dial 222 1234,
which we all know won't work.

London never ever had 0207 or 0208 dialling codes. It's some myth put
about by the media every time they have a slow news day and they attempt
to provoke some outrage that Londoners will be confused by these 'new
0203 codes' or somesuch rubbish. London dialling codes went from 01 to
071/081 to 0171/0181 to 020. Nothing more, nothing less.