Old November 15th 07, 01:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.railway
Pyromancer Pyromancer is offline

Default London Underground Ventilation Shafts

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Adrian
gently breathed:

Would that it were that simple. The implication is that one can dial
222 1234 within a notional STD code of "0207" AND expect to be
connected. I have heard that there are a handful of exchanges within
London were that does work. However the standard is now eight digit
local numbers within London. Dialing eight digits within STD code
"020" will always work.

Why do people want to only dial part of the number? Why not just dial
the whole thing and be sure it will work from anywhere in the UK,
including mobiles?

Back in the days of electro-mechanical exchange switching and physical
connections number-shortening may have made sense, but surely by now
it's an anachronism?

Or is there a good reason for still doing it - I suppose it makes it
easier for a person with limited hand mobility to dial, though it won't
help them use a mobile or if they're in a different area.

--
- DJ Pyromancer, Black Sheep, Leeds. http://www.sheepish.net
Hard Rock, Leeds http://www.hard-rock.org.uk