Old November 15th 07, 01:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.railway
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default London Underground Ventilation Shafts

Pyromancer wrote:
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Adrian
gently breathed:

Would that it were that simple. The implication is that one can
dial 222 1234 within a notional STD code of "0207" AND expect to be
connected. I have heard that there are a handful of exchanges
within London were that does work. However the standard is now
eight digit local numbers within London. Dialing eight digits
within STD code "020" will always work.

Why do people want to only dial part of the number? Why not just
dial the whole thing and be sure it will work from anywhere in the
UK, including mobiles?

If I'm in London using a landline phone, why would I want to dial 11
digits when 8 would do?
--
Richard J.