Old November 15th 07, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default London Underground Ventilation Shafts

Rob wrote:

The Greathead statue one is
interesting. Others Ive heard of -

Pavillion in Park Crescent
One in a building in Cloudsley Sq Islington

Are you sure? I heard there was one in Gibson Sq, which is very close by.

Opposite Warren St station
Half way down City Road

....which is of course the closed City Road Station.

This is definitely one in Rotherhithe Street...
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...9214&encType=1

ISTR this being one, in Downtown Road...
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...2759&encType=1

And ISTR this being one near Culling Circus...
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...5807&encType=1

Definitely one in Netherton Road...
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...7938&encType=1

Two close together at London Bridge...
One aligned north-south (Northern line?)
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...2636&encType=1
One aligned northwest-southeast (Jubilee Line)
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...2636&encType=1
....although I can't think why fanshafts would have structures which indicate
the orientation of the line beneath.

This can't be a fanshaft, I wonder what it is?
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...5313&encType=1

There are of course various holes in the roof of the Circle Line, such as
the one next to Great Portland Street station.

I'll keep an eye out for more fanshafts and email you when I find them.