Old November 15th 07, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.telecom, uk.railway
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default London Underground Ventilation Shafts

On Nov 14, 6:04 pm, Pyromancer
wrote:

Why do people want to only dial part of the number? Why not just dial
the whole thing and be sure it will work from anywhere in the UK,
including mobiles?

Back in the days of electro-mechanical exchange switching and physical
connections number-shortening may have made sense, but surely by now
it's an anachronism?

If I had to take a guess, I would say that, for some countries,
telephone area codes will dissappear with a few decades. In the age
of mobile telephones and VoIP they are becoming increasingly
anachronistic.

Example: I have numbers relating to Bognor Regis, Edinburgh, Leeds,
Portsmouth, Anaheim, Beverly Hills and Reno. Very few of them connect
to telephones in the locations indicated!

Adrian