Old November 16th 07, 12:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Oxford Street trams - again - again

Boltar wrote:
On Nov 15, 9:31 am, Mwmbwls wrote:
Ken Livingstone, the Mayor of London, plans to replicate Paris Plage,
the beach created on a highway alongside the Seine each August, on
the four-lane Victoria Embankment beside the Thames.

Can't see how that will work. I used to work right next to that road
and just by the sheer amount of traffic on it it must take a large
proportion of the east-west through traffic, a lot of it trucks and
coaches. If they close it the west end will probably sieze up. Theres
probably a case for narrowing it though , a dual carraigeway IMO is
overkill.

"The mayor does not seem to realise that Paris virtually shuts down

I would suggest thats a bit of myth. A lot of the french go on holiday
in august but saying the whole of paris shuts down is nonsense. I've
been there in august and the traffic in the centre was just as bad as
at any other time of year.

The fact that the most important road in Paris was shut but the traffic was
no worse than the rest of the year seems to prove that Paris virtually does
shut down in August!