Old November 16th 07, 07:21 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default Dead end

umpston wrote:
On Nov 14, 10:40 pm, "Richard J."
wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
I found a road today (Knapp Road E3) with a standard T-shaped "No
Through Road" sign, and underneath were the words "Except Access".
Every time I try to figure out what that might mean, my head turns
into a Moebius strip.

According to Streetmap, when going west along Knapp Road, just
after the railway bridge, the road becomes Cantrell Road, but
there's a line across the road suggesting some sort of access
restriction. Similarly at the other end of Cantrell Road, where
it meets Bow Common Lane, there is another line across it. So I
assume that Cantrell Road is effectively pedestrianised except for
access, with either some sort of restricted-access barrier at each
end or just No Motor Vehicles signs with "except for access"
plates.

If so, the No Through Road Except for Access sign is reasonably
logical, except that the only qualifying plate allowed on a No
Through Road sign is "except cycles". So it's either an unlawful
sign or has special permission from the DfT.
--
Richard J.

I think it must be a mistake since the DfT usually grant special
authorisation for variation of signs only if there is no existing
authorised sign or marking for the desired meaning. The correct
sign for this purpose would be the No Motor Vehicles (or no
vehicles) signs with 'except for access' plates. Or, if the width
of the road is the issue, "unsuitable for wide vehicles" could be
used.

"No Motor Vehicles except for access" would be correct at the western
end of Knapp Road where the restriction starts, but not at the other
end, where just an advance warning is needed.
--
Richard J.