Old November 18th 07, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oxford Street trams - again - again

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

kytelly wrote:

St Martins Lane would get my vote to be pedestrianised
as well as thats mainly a black cab rat run these days.

I imagine the road is mainly used by car drivers following their
TomToms, which don't realise there is a forced left turn into
William IV Street, and so erroneously suggest St Martins Lane as
the shortest route from much of North London to much of South
London. Black cabs wouldn't use it as a rat run because they know
about the forced left turn - they use St Martins Lane because it's
full of hotels and pubs and theatres to which people wish to be
taken.

Ho, ho! They just turn right illegally (well, some of them anyway). I use
it on my bike and find it a fantastic (and lightly trafficked)
alternative route. Unfortunately there is no Northbound equivalent.
Perhaps the answer is to make it (and Upper St Martin's Lane and Monmouth
St) two-way for cyclists.

--
Colin Rosenstiel