Old November 19th 07, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Best tickets for Cambridge-Tolworth via Putney?

In article ,
lid (asdf) wrote:

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 00:32 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), Colin
Rosenstiel wrote:

No-one? I'm most surprised the fare from East Putney is so high.

It's because there's a change of modes involved. Fares for through
LU-NR (or vice versa) journeys have for a long time been more
expensive than similar journeys that just use LU or NR - it used to
be simply the price of the two separate journey legs added together.

The new zonal Train Tube Fares were introduced a couple of years
back, but these merely continued the trend (they are more
expensive than straight Tube paper tickets, which are themselves
priced at 'punitive' levels).

Ouch! I thought they were supposed to have moved towards zonal
fares on NR last January?

They did, but that doesn't seem to have affected the price of Train
Tube Fares yet.

Was there an answer to the other question, BTW? Anyone know?

Perhaps the Putney-Tolworth and Tolworth-Clapham Jcn singles
could be a Putney-Tolworth return at £4.70, saving 70p and
reducing the Zones 1 & 2 saver total to £23.85. I assume a
Putney-Tolworth return wouldn't be valid to Vauxhall on the return
leg, despite it also being in Zone 2?

Correct. NR singles and returns within the zones are priced zonally,
but still issued as point-to-point tickets, with the same validity
as before.

I got round that problem by buying a Cambridge-Putney saver. Cost an
extra quid over a Cambridge-East Putney (actually to U12) saver but
covered Clapham Jcn-Waterloo OK. Not that SWT checked anything, other
than the gates at Putney.

When did tube+NR fares get such a hike? It's punitive now for journeys
through Wimbledon.

--
Colin Rosenstiel