Old November 6th 03, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Thomas Payne Thomas Payne is offline

Default Where have all the RMs gone?

"linda.salvador" wrote in message ...
Also Route 23 is to lose their RMs too from 15th November this year. Then
route 94 will also lose their RMs from January 24th 2004. Route 6 and 98
will lose their RMs from March 27th (at the same day). As Robin said with
his reply from TfL they are getting old.

Regards
George

I get the feeling that the 12's RMs can't be staying much longer. The
CrystalEyes displays and associated cameras have all been ripped out,
messy metal panels and odd paint left in their place. Also the buses
have become increasingly run down, filthy and vandalised inside in
recent weeks - upstairs on the one I took last night I found a copy of
Auto Express from September (though of course it may have been left
that day, but from the amount of rubbish it didn't look like it had
been cleaned for quite some time). Has to be said though that London
Central doesn't seem very good at keeping its buses clean inside, or
grafitti free - have they heard of anti-scratch film?

I personally won't miss the Routemasters. They are incredibly draughty
in the winter and their small, close together seats and the tight
dimensions of the vehicle make for a rather unpleasent experience:
everyones legs stray into the aisle out of necessity, making it quite
difficult to fight your way to the stairs when you want to get off.
Not to mention excessive vibration and lurching when idling and
boneshaking ride.

They are true icons and have some good design features, but are no
longer suited to modern day adult bodies!