Old November 21st 07, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Walthamstow Central

In message of Tue, 20 Nov
2007 17:30:56 in uk.transport.london, Paul Corfield
writes
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:40:34 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

Walthamstow Central tube is closed this Saturday and the Vic line is
closed Sunday. Having pondered the reason why I asked this evening as to
whether the subway link was due to open. The worksite looks perilously
close to "break through" of the final bits of the wall.

And having used Walthamstow this evening I can confirm that both the
ticket office and the subway link are open.

[snip]

[I did not know that POM is "Passenger-operated machine" - LU-speak for
a ticket machine when I met the term a few months ago.]

I look forward to assessing it.

There were porters provided at both ends of the subway link - presumably
to assist those laden with bags or pushchairs / buggies. What I could
not tell was whether there is a mini lift at the ticket hall end of the
subway or not.

I love the thought of the return of the porter - I am old enough to
remember them at rail stations.

Nice to see it almost finished - just the lift to go.

I can't remember whether there are steps to the escalator from the
platform in the routeway - I think not. It sounds as if there will soon
be a big improvement in access for those with limited mobility.
I can't recall the URL where steps are specified. Can anyone help?
--
Walter Briscoe