Old November 21st 07, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default I Thought the Buses were Wheelchair Accessible... but pram pushersmay not

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:13:39 +0100, Jarle H Knudsen
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:06:00 +0000, eastender wrote:

Oh yeah? We have two year old twins - there is no way you can get them
out a
double buggy and fold it up. Also, the side by side double buggy we have
won't fit at the front of the bus, and some drivers won't let you board at
the rear doors.

"Getting around London" states:

"Buggies that are too wide to be wheeled into the bus
via the front door must be folded. Buggy users are not
allowed to board through the centre doors of
dual-door buses."

That rule has been superceded by the one permitting entry via the centre
doors. With certain vehicles - e.g. the Dennis Darts used on route 212 -
the very narrow aisle means the majority of buggies end up using the
centre doors rather than the front.
--
Paul C