Old November 22nd 07, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Nice announcement

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 10:46:43PM -0000, Graham Harrison wrote:

The whole announcement thing is getting a bit silly. Not only on the
trains but on the platforms. But what irritates me almost more than the
number of the announcments is how (1) the train and platform announcements
don't co-ordinate and (2) when things aren't working properly (late running
and particularly out of order running) the systems don't cope.

The one that ****es me off is that the recorded announcements of "this
is Putney. The next station is Wandsworth Town" are usually wrong.
They're either a stop or two out, or they think the train is travelling
in the opposite direction. Not very helpful when you're buried in a
good book and want to know when to get off the bloody train.

This even happens on those trains where the trainco has been stupid
enough to try to tie the doors in to GPS so that they can't open if the
driver stops a yard or two away from the end of the platform.

While researching this email, I was forced to carry out some
investigative work which unfortunately involved a bucket of
puppies and a belt sander
-- after JoeB, in the Monastery