Old November 22nd 07, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ernst S Blofeld Ernst S Blofeld is offline

Default I Thought the Buses were Wheelchair Accessible... but pram-pushersmay not

Martin Rich wrote:
Also, before low-floor buses were the norm, somebody with a
push-chair would know they'd have to fold it and would do so at the
stop before the bus arrived. That's a different matter from folding a
push-chair in a hurry because a bus arrives with no space to wheel a
push-chair.

You have demonstrated my point. In having been furnished with lower
floors and wider aisles (even if only as a side-effect of disabled
provision), the child minder no longer contemplates folding in advance
even when they have the time and space to do so. Previously it was a
necessity but now it is largely an optional act of consideration for
others that is rarely exercised.

While much is to do with the self-centred 'society' we live in, and
misplaced parental instincts, the trend towards purchasing large,
all-terrain 'toddler tractors' doesn't help.

ESB