Old November 23rd 07, 09:05 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default Lies, Damned Lies, Statistics and Claims by Spanish-owned BAA

Neil Williams wrote:
What I would like to see, though, is for LHR to be restricted to the
number of passengers/flights for which it was designed. Regional
airports, Gatwick, Stansted and Luton can then take up the slack. It
doesn't have to be LHR.

One option worth considering might be to remove all short-haul from
LHR, though connecting passengers won't like that.

A minimum plane size - or charges that work out too expensive for
smaller planes - would be a good start. It should be possible to
increase terminal capacity to match.

Then there needs to be a serious effort to replace short-haul flights
with rail AND to provide express rail links to Stansted and Gatwick so
that flight-changing between airports is practical.

As far as number of flights goes, the limit should be low enough to
make stacking rare. I think that runway alternation could be allowed
with such a flight cap.

BAA think in terms of flights. They need to be made to think in terms
of people, and the journeys they want to make.

Colin McKensie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as