Old November 6th 03, 04:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
RayB RayB is offline

Default Oyster Issue (?)

"Andrew Paul Bowden" wrote in message
Dominic Pinto wrote:

It's probably just something on the ticket - some gates are more
sensitive to these things than others. Just pop down to your
home station and ask for a replacement.

That does make sense, but there is another possibility.

The Oyster card is tied to the Photocard number of the user, as is the paper
ticket number. I suspect that LUL have stopped the use of the paper ticket
in this case, except for the main London Terminal(s) it would normally be
used at.

It would prevent the use of what is effectively the same ticket by two
different people - Revenue Protection.

On a related note - my local Mainline station has not got the proximity
readers required to interface with Oyster cards. I have asked a member real
staff (not these contract guards that seem to think they own the railways)
about it but they tell me that the station IS NOT going to get the readers,
despite being in Z6.

I am getting fed up with having to explain the concept of Oyster to these
contract guards and the fact that cards do not go through readers, the fact
that it is perfectly valid for use at that station and that it's their fault
it can't be read, not mine. I have been asked to produce a proof of
purchase, but as I renew on line that is easier said than done.

What annoys me more is that the TOC for this line are happy to take their
share of the London Travel "pot" but will do nothing to move with the times
vis. Oyster. I dread to think what will happen when weeklies go "Oyster"
later this year, that'll mean over half their customers have tickets that
can't be read.

RayB

---