Old November 27th 07, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default LT lies

On 27 Nov, 14:08, Mizter T wrote:
On 27 Nov, 13:32, MIG wrote:

On 27 Nov, 12:48, "Clive." wrote:

MIG writes:
In a non-safety-critical context, the poster used an everyday term (he
didn't say northbound, but that the train headed north). There can't
be any doubt about what he meant (and which you disputed the truth of,
so must have understood).

Surely there can't be that many loons who carry a compass around in
London. (Incase they get lost?)
All the underground lines, in maps for public consumption show all lines
to be either north south or east west, for clarity, what's wrong with
holding to that convention?
--
Clive.

I haven't seen any maps showing Southgate east of Arnos Grove. I was
defending the reference to a train heading north, which it would be in
reality and on all diagrams.

I haven't delved in to the details of Boltar's complaint/rant and I'm
not going to, but I quite agree that there's nothing wrong with
describing a train heading north at this point, when that's exactly
what it was (or wasn't) doing. The general public don't need to abide
by LU's operational compass because the general public ain't running
the trains, they're travelling on them.

Plus, I always like to have some idea of what direction N/S/E/W is,
though no I don't carry a compass (although there are definitely
occasions when I would find it useful).-

I once got out at Kentish Town in the ****ing rain* and couldn't see
any road names, so I used a compass to find the starting direction to
get to the London Hazards Centre (as was). However, this is possibly
the only time in my whole life that I used a compass in London.

However however, that's mainly because I haven't usually got one with
me, so who knows?

*My heavy-duty waterproof happened to have a compass in the pocket.