Old November 27th 07, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default LT lies

On 27 Nov, 14:19, MIG wrote:
On 27 Nov, 14:08, Mizter T wrote:

(snip)

Plus, I always like to have some idea of what direction N/S/E/W is,
though no I don't carry a compass (although there are definitely
occasions when I would find it useful).-

I once got out at Kentish Town in the ****ing rain* and couldn't see
any road names, so I used a compass to find the starting direction to
get to the London Hazards Centre (as was). However, this is possibly
the only time in my whole life that I used a compass in London.

However however, that's mainly because I haven't usually got one with
me, so who knows?

*My heavy-duty waterproof happened to have a compass in the pocket.

Whilst I'm very much a fan of the A-Z, I often don't have one in my
bag and I often don't have a bag at all. I also like to work out or
discover the back streets route. So I'm often of the 'that's the broad
direction to go in' persuasion, which can be very successful and can
be frustrating, but is often educational and interesting - but some
back streets have a tendency to gradually curve and thus change your
trajectory and thus somewhat lose your bearings (I'm not thinking
about central London here), and this is where a compass could come in
handy. I'd never consider myself lost in such a situation though!