Old November 27th 07, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Lack of GOBLin connections

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Paul Terry wrote:

In message
,
writes

I was wondering, was the GOBLin built after the tube lines? Does
anyone know the rationale behind its route?

The GOBLIN, as known today, has existed only since about 1981. It is an
amalgam of various bits of other lines, although the South Tottenham to
Forest Gate section was built in 1894 (at the encouragement of a
property speculator) to join the Midland Railway with the London,
Tilbury and Southend.

Before that bit was built, where did the line go? Terminate at South
Tottenham? Now-lost curve up the West Anglia? Existing curve down the West
Anglia? Up via Harringay to THE NORTH, with the bit to South Tottenham
being added later?

Something that would be truly awesome would be a historical map of all
London's railways, a bit like what CULG does for the tube in textual form,
but done as an animated GIF (or flash or whatever), so you can see the
lines snaking out, joining up, rotting away, etc.

A bit like what microtubules do:

http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/gs...stability.html
http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/gs...sport_mts.html
http://www.borisylab.northwestern.edu/pages/movies.html

tom

--
Pizza: cheap, easy, and portable. Oh, wait, that's me. Never mind. -- edda